Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The 'Value' and The 'Price' of Money...

I belong to a well to do middle class family. For me spending Rs.100 on some junk food is no big deal. Although I am not a spendthrift, but I have seldom realized the actual value of money until a few weeks back. It was when I met an old friend of mine after long years of separation (we were in contact online though). He was going through some family crisis. Economically we belong to more or less the same class, but now it seemed that he was in deep trouble.

I didn't ask, nor did he tell his story, but the only thing that I could observe that he was upset and broken to the core. He also belongs to science field and had (yes, “had”) deep interest in research. But that day he was talking to me regarding getting a job. I was quite surprised hearing this and asked what happened to his dream of becoming a scientist? He simply told me that he doesn't have the patience of working in lab for a sum of money from which he cannot even rent a 2bhk house in a metropolitan city. I was taken aback on this statement. He was a boy for whom getting a name was more valuable than money. He used to tell me that money is no big deal and that he required only enough to maintain his family. But that day, something had changed. I bade farewell saying that I will keep a lookout for jobs.

After retiring to my room, I was thinking how can such a drastic change occur to such talented person. Although this sudden shift in profession was not a new thing for me for I have seen many cases like that but most of them were girls and here in India, once the girl crosses 21-22 years of age, parents begin to search for grooms. But in his case, it was something more than mere change in profession. It was the change in views, the values and to a great extent I felt it was all about money. Realizing such unacceptable “divine intervention” in his dreams, I left any more thinking to God and continued with my regular work. But again and again that question came to my mind, why on earth such a change? I am myself some philosopher (pseudo-philosopher would better explain) kind of person and I shared similar thought as his. May be that was because I was so shaken or may be because I am in the same field as he is (or I should rather say 'was').

In due course of time I started noticing the 'value' and the 'price' of money. For people who are rich, I don't think it will make much of a difference, but for those people who are poor, the value of money is huge and the price is, sometimes, even bigger. I quoted in the very beginning regarding my spending Rs.100 on junk food. That was intentional and to compare the 'value' portion of this story. Tell me, the value of Rs.100 was as good as junk food for one time, what do you think it's value would be for a person who hardly has food just once a day? It could mean a fortune. Many of us fail to realize this situation. Even I did. I am not a philanthropist, but I can share my experiences to those who can be one.

Now coming to the 'price' part. For me the price was virtually nothing. May be a good score in my exams was sufficient. But for the deprived ones, the price can be anything from working under inhuman conditions to selling their own child so that they can feed others.

I have seen every other day there is an announcement from somebody or the other regarding rehabilitation programmes and then in an instant everything vanishes..**POOF**...as though there was nothing of that sort ever. Politicians come to our constituencies stay with us, dine with us, travel with us, but has anyone ever done anything to eradicate such miserable situation? No.....

Anyways, enough of my philosophy now.

Later...

-Crazy Mind...

2 comments:

  1. Is studying Basic Science is really risky in India if you belong to middle class family?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is risky,in case of middle class or lower class families, only if you are not "exceptionally" talented...even "highly" talented ones often end up doing either banking, taxation, tech support, call centers or running grocery stores...I can give you as many examples as you want...

    ReplyDelete