Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Social Networking or Friendship???

We are living in a cyber age. It all started with basic networking, sharing information, e-mail, chats and now social networking sites. Social networking sites have given us a convenient medium to search our 'old' friends, 'manage' friends, 'share' things etc. etc. etc. Everything is pretty fine but think...has it changed meaning of 'friendship'??

I'll take my father's case. He has few good friends from his childhood (I am not calling them 'old friends' for a reason). Normally they are away from each other, meeting once in a blue moon. But every time they meet I see the care, the sense of joy, 'real friendship', although I must confess that many of his childhood friends are still not in contact.

Now considering myself, I am fortunate enough to have the luxury of a networking website. Consequently I am in 'contact' with most of my 'friends'. But even then I always feel something is missing among this long 'managed' list of 'friends'. God knows what. We share the pics of the places we have traveled, we share status messages, we share vids, stories, blogs etc. but even then there is a feeling of loneliness surrounding this 'sharing', something holding back, I guess. We always feel chatting or leaving a comment is enough of a contact with an individual. May be. But what when you actually need someone to talk to??? Someone to discuss some problems??? Do you think that such sites are enough??? I have never felt it that way. If you put a status update stating directly or indirectly that you are in some trouble, for one or two days you will receive ample number of comments asking whatever was going on, the third day all is back to normal. Even those people whom you consider close to you 'forget' asking whether you are fine or not. The entire topic of discussion changes to some shitty TV serial or a cricket match. You are more or less forgotten.

It hurts...hurts like hell... Do you know the reason?? Because we expect. We expect because we feel that we are in 'contact' with 'friends' and actually we are not. Technically speaking we are in contact with a few 'internet addict netizens' who have found a new way to fulfill their addiction. Thats all.

P.S. : These are my views and you are free to object.

- Crazy Mind...

3 comments:

  1. what you said is very very true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep..sad, but true... i felt it deeply in recent times...

    ReplyDelete