Saturday, August 13, 2011

Search vs Research...

I have been in the field of science for some time now. Everywhere I see or hear is the term 'research'...''in his/her research...'',''in my research...'',''in this research...'',''in that research...'',etc. etc. etc. So what the hell is this research???


Let me tell you an statement from from one of the teachers i respect most. She said, ''Boys (yes, we were three of us, at that time, present there), don't just 'research', 'search'...''. At that time it was hard for me to understand the meaning of this statement. Slowly, in due course of time, realized its importance, even though I don't think it is still very much clear to me and I admit that so far I have, more or less, failed to achieve this,yet.

Well, the question still remains, what is research??? Technically, it is searching which is already present. But my opinion is a little different. In my opinion, research stands for searching whatever is already 'physically' present. i.e. tangible, which we can see, touch (by any means). It includes everything from quarks,photons to this universe, non cellular virioids to human beings.

But there are many things that science does not cover or explain. That's where 'search' comes into existence. I am not advocating that things like paranormal activity and miracles or magic should come under this title. In my opinion, even such phenomenon should be covered under scientific investigations. The term 'search' is, however, has an entirely different meaning in my mind. This search is the one which most of the common public is now looking for. Yes, I am talking about the Almighty God. Indeed this subject is covered in theology, but what about science??? Science does not want to accept His existence, but I feel He is inseparable part of our life. In my coming posts I will try to analyze His existence from my vantage point. Well, back to the point now. 'Search', in my dictionary, means search for the ultimate knowledge. For some it is 'Vedas', for others it is 'Brahma-gyan' or 'Moksha' or 'Nirvana'... whatever the name or form may be, what I feel that this ultimate knowledge is the one worth seeking, along with other scientific aspects.

Just remembered one dialogue from movie 'Thor' (2011), ''...where I come from, science and magic are one and the same...''. My thoughts are in tandem. If we want to become as advanced as we see in our mythology or in science fictions, we will have to keep science and religion hand in hand...

So...keep searching...

-Crazy Mind...

4 comments:

  1. Eye opening for the researcher in and around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @racing with time : you were there among the three boys... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well as far as my experience is concerned it is neither 'research' nor 'search' around us anymore. Both the entities have been smothered to death. Science and religion are the two purest-estttt things for those who love them and there is no respect for such people anymore. Not in my country or around me at least let alone their findings. No one thinks about the spirit of 'doing' and 'finding' or 're-finding' anymore, they want papers and articles with their names. It's a sad world. :[

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not agree with you completely. The spirit is very much alive, though it is suppressed in most cases as in today's scenario, papers and articles mean more than capacity to work.

    ReplyDelete